Friday, April 8, 2011

School Days

Click on the picture below to enlarge it. Select the back button on your browser to return to the post.



Subjects: First row, 4th from left, Joseph Frank Forrai(age 14 years).
Date: 1927.
Occasion: 8th Grade Graduation.
Location: Cudahy, Wisconsin.
Photographer: Unknown.
Relationship to me: Father.

Once my mother retired, she went through the boxes of photographs and created historical photo albums. She made one for myself and one for my brother.  Since my father's side of the family was poor and large, there are not many photographs from my father's youth. In the next few weeks, I will be posting the few that I have. The Bockay/Forrai's could not afford to make copies, so snapshots were shared. Therefore, they have been scattered amongst the family.

I believe this is the 8th grade graduation photograph from my father's class. I know that dad continued school and was in high school. He would tell me stories that he excelled and was placed in higher level classes. He never told me whether he graduated. I have never found an actual high school diploma, nor any record of his graduation.

The story my father tells, is that he left school to work in the mail room of Patrick Cudahy, a meat packer. He eventually worked his way up to traffic manager, and that was his job when I was born. The company changed hands in the early 1960's, and that was when my dad left. From there he pursued real estate and construction. He was a licensed broker as well as realtor. Eventually he partnered, and ran a new residential home construction company until he retired at age 65.

No comments:

Post a Comment