Friday, April 15, 2011

Road Trip

Click on the picture below to enlarge it. Select the back button on your browser to return to the post.



Subjects: (Left to Right): Paul Bockay(age: 47 years), Joseph Forrai(age: 15 years), George Bockay(age: 45 years), and Rose Forrai Bockay(age: 40 years).
Date: 1928.
Occasion: Unknown.
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Photographer: Unknown.
Automobile: 1925 Hudson.
Relationship to me: Step-Grandfather, Father, Step-Grand Uncle, and Paternal Grandmother.

Once my mother retired, she went through the boxes of photographs and created historical photo albums. She made one for myself and one for my brother. Since my father's side of the family was poor and large, there are not many photographs from my father's youth. In the next few weeks, I will be posting the few that I have. The Bockay/Forrai's could not afford to make copies, so snapshots were shared. Therefore, they have been scattered amongst the family.

If my father looks unhappy in these photographs, it is because he did not have an ideal childhood. His biological father, Louis Forrai, passed away in 1919 from the Flu Pandemic. The Hungarian community arranged the marriage between Paul Bockay and Rose Forrai. My father did not have a good relationship with his step father.

My father started his first year of high school. I am unclear whether he ever completed it. At this time, the family was lacking money, so my father went off to work at Patrick Cudahy Meat Packers in the mail room. I have never found a high school diploma or GED. It is unclear whether my father ever finished high school.

He eventually worked his way up at Patrick Cudahy to traffic manager, and that was his job when I was born. The company changed hands in the early 1960's, and that was when my dad left. From there he pursued real estate and construction. He was a licensed broker as well as realtor. Eventually he partnered, and ran a new residential home construction company until he retired at age 65.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like he was a "can-do" guy, Louis, and didn't sit around feeling sorry for himself. That's truly an attribute to be proud of, regardless of what you start or end up with. I enjoyed your post, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louis - this is so fascinating! How wonderful that your mom, my Aunt Norma, put together those albums for you and David. Coincidentally, my grandfather on my mom's side, Joseph Schoblocher, also worked at Patrick Cudahy! I don't remember when he retired, but I bet your dad and my grandpa must have worked there together for part of their employment!

    ReplyDelete