Friday, July 23, 2010

Two Brothers


Subject: Robert Waswo
Age: 38
Occasion: Unknown.
Location: Chicago, IL (appears to be the front stoop of Minnie Waswo Moeller's home)
Date: 1913
Photographer: Unknown.

I have very little detailed information on Robert Waswo. He was the older brother of my grandfather, George. Robert was born in 1875 in Chicago, Illinois. He is recorded on the 1880 census as residing in Chicago. He married Anna Heith, and had two children Helen and Fred. Robert passed away on October 5, 1944 in Chicago and is buried at the Waldheim Cemetery.

As a child and young adult, I remember a Fred Waswo with a residence in Florida. I remember receiving Christmas cards from Fred. I know that my parents visited Fred Waswo during one of their Florida trips. I also remember my Uncle George visiting the Florida Waswo.

Per Judith Jacob, she relates this story about Fred Waswo. Fred Waswo is Bob(Robert) Waswo's son. Fred also had a sister Helen. When Albert Waswo (who was "slow" as a result of oxygen deprivation from a breech birth) died about 1950(May 8, 1948), his will left his estate of about $10,000 to his sisters Minnie and Alma who had taken care of him after his mother Johanna(Lueth Waswo Giermann)died(May 18, 1935). Helen and Freddie sued Minnie and Alma for a share of the estate. They wanted your mother Norma and her brother George to join them in the lawsuit, but they refused, knowing how much time and effort Alma and Minnie put into caring for their brother. Any other family members contacted also refused to join the suit. Helen and Freddie claimed Alma and Minnie had coerced Albert into leaving them his estate (which basically had come from money left to him when Johanna (Lueth)Waswo Giermann died.) Helen and Freddie did win a share of the estate...think each one got about $2000....but what a mess it caused in the family. I know Alma and Minnie and their families never wanted anything to do with Helen and Freddie after that. I was only about 10 years old in 1950 when this all occurred, but I was old enough to know it was not a pleasant time....my grandmother(Alma Wascher Waswo)cried a lot of tears over it.

I remember the story between Minnie and Alma vs. Helen and Freddie. My mom, as well as Grandma Lucy were deeply upset about the whole matter. Judith Jacob's words brought back memories from my childhood. I remember Grandma Lucy also said that the rest of the family was upset that Grandma Giermann left her estate to Albert(because he needed to be cared after). Perhaps that is what precipitated Helen and Freddie going after the estate of Albert. So sad to have greed separate the family.

It is a shame that there is so much greed that clouds the mind. It amazes me that a family member can be so callous, but it continues. This is not an isolated incident in our family history.


Subject: George D. Waswo
Age: 29
Occasion: Unknown.
Location: Chicago, IL
Date: 1913
Photographer: Unknown.

As I continue from last week, this is a photograph during my grandparents courting days. This snapshot appears to have been taken by a professional. If you look closely, you will note the artificial background. Perhaps there was a special occasion for this photograph, but the information is lost. George was 29 years old in this photograph. Perhaps, George had this taken as a memento for Lucy. George at this time was a traveling salesman and on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment