Friday, July 30, 2010

The State Capitol of Wisconsin


Taking a little break from photographs of my family members, I decided to share this photograph of the State Capitol in Madison, Wisconsin. The photograph was taken in 1914, and my best guest of the photographer is my grandfather, George D. Waswo, Sr. Of course back then, he wasn't the senior yet! It is still one year before the marriage to my grandmother, Lucy A. H. Traulsen.

This photograph was taken on King Street from the beginning of the 100 block. If you look carefully, you will see the Majestic Theater on the Left. The address of the Majestic is 115 King Street. If you view the photograph carefully, you can see that the trees have leaves and the people are in their shirtsleeves. Being very familiar with Wisconsin weather, my guess would be this photograph was taken in late Spring or Summer. My guess would also include, that my grandfather took this photograph on one of his sales trips. Unfortunately, I do not have any other photographs from this era to provide additional details. It could have been a day outing for the courting couple.

There is some history involved with not only the State Capitol, but also from the Majestic Theater. From the Majestic Theater website, I have provided the following information:

The Majestic Theatre is Madison, Wisconsin’s oldest theatre, opening on December 15, 1906 as a vaudeville theatre. Over the years, everything from silent movies to the shows of Harry Houdini have graced this historic stage. There were even a few years where the theatre showed movies that featured the letter “X” rather prominently after the title. After a brief incarnation as a dance club, the Majestic Theatre has returned to its show business roots — this time as a world-class live performing arts venue.

Yes, the Majestic along with the Capitol still grace Madison, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment