Friday, July 9, 2010

Say there, aren't these two nice little peaches?


Subject: Lucy A. Traulsen and friend
Location: Unknown.
Occasion: Unknown.
Date: 1913.
Photographer: Unknown.

I love this photograph. This was the era of courtship and happiness for my Grandmother and of course her future husband to be, George Daniel Waswo, Sr. The handwriting beneath the photograph is my Grandmother's. I imagine she had this photograph taken professionally, as if you look closely, it appears to be an artificial background. Unfortunately, I do not know the identity of her friend.

I love the stylish dress and hat, even at a young age Grandmother knew what to wear to flatter her. This sense of style continued the rest of her life. Even in advanced age, Grandmother continued to reap the benefit of many compliments upon her attire.

This photograph was taken either in Milwaukee, Wisconsin or Chicago, Illinois. Lucy was 22 years old. In a future post, I will explore Lucy's early adult life, but for now, I will reveal, that she did live in Chicago for a few years. Perhaps, this cemented the relationship between George and Lucy. I also note a striking family resemblance between young Lucy and my own mother.

I imagine Lucy giving this photograph to George as a keepsake. Per Lucy's stories, this was the time that George was on the road selling yeast for the Fleishman Yeast Company. He would visit bakeries much as vendors do today, to ensure customers remained happy, as well to tout the latest and greatest product or products. He had this photograph to remind him of the lady back home waiting for him.

During my childhood, I remember an album filled with postcards that George sent Lucy on his travels. Unfortunately, I do not know what happened to this scrapbook. George also brought back spoons with the locations of the cities and states that he visited for Lucy. These keepsakes I do have.

No comments:

Post a Comment