Friday, June 3, 2011

Joseph Frank Forrai

Click on the picture below to enlarge it. Select the back button on your browser to return to the post.




Subjects: Joseph Frank Forrai(age 26).
Date: 1939.
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Occasion: Out for a swim.
Photographer: Unknown.
Relationship to me: Father.

Once my mother retired, she went through the boxes of photographs and created historical photo albums. She made one for myself and one for my brother. This is a photograph from the album made for me.
 
I remember this photograph from my childhood. My father was quite the swimmer in his 20's. He would relate how he would swim in Lake Michigan from Bradford Beach out to the break water. The distance out was 1 mile, so round trip was 2 miles. Regardless of the time of year, Lake Michigan rarely warms more than 65 degrees. It always was too cold for me. I am still amazed that my father could tolerate such cold water for an extended period of time.
 
My father was also a swim instructor at a local pool. He would tell stories about his weekly  swim classes. They separated the males from the females, and he was the instructor for the males.
 
My mother always found it amusing, that all these stories of such a great swimmer, and he never taught his sons how to swim. I attended swim lessons as a young boy and was terrified. It wasn't until college that I took a swim class and actually learn to swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment