Friday, June 10, 2011

Joseph Frank Forrai, The Photographer.

Click on the picture below to enlarge it. Select the back button on your browser to return to the post.



Subject: Joseph Frank Forrai(age 26).
Date: 1939.
Location: Cudahy, Wisconsin.
Occasion: The Photographer.
Photographer: Al Paskowicz.
Relationship to me: Father.

Once my mother retired, she went through the boxes of photographs and created historical photo albums. She made one for myself and one for my brother. This is a photograph from the album made for me.

For those of you who knew my father, you will always remember him having a camera in his hand. Photography was his favorite hobby. I think now with digital photography, he would be completely amazed.

Most of you reading this will probably have no idea of what my father is holding in his hand. If you guess camera, you are completely wrong. I will post the answer at the bottom of the page. My dad not only photographed, but also developed his pictures. In the house where I grew up, there was the darkroom designed and built by my father to his strict specifications. I can remember spending many hours observing as well as assisting my father in the making of prints. He preferred black and white, as color photographs manually is quite a labor and time consuming process.

In this photograph is a photometer to determine the light level of the room and subject. On the meter is a 'slide rule' that helped you decide what f-stop and aperture to use. What you take for granted in your digital camera, at one time you had to use your mind and hands to set the camera to obtain the best possible photograph. Photography was more of an art than a science.

My Uncle Al Paskowicz also shared the passion for photography, so my father had an ally for his passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment