Friday, May 6, 2011

Joe and another friend

Click on the picture below to enlarge it. Select the back button on your browser to return to the post.



Subjects: Edwin Soel and Joseph Frank Forrai(age 16 years).
Date: 1929.
Occasion: Unknown.
Location: Cudahy, Wisconsin.
Photographer: Unknown.
Relationship to me: Father.

Once my mother retired, she went through the boxes of photographs and created historical photo albums. She made one for myself and one for my brother. Since my father's side of the family was poor and large, there are not many photographs from my father's youth. In the next few weeks, I will be posting the few that I have. The Bockay/Forrai's could not afford to make copies, so snapshots were shared. Therefore, they have been scattered amongst the family.

If my father looks unhappy in these photographs, it is because he did not have an ideal childhood. His biological father, Louis Forrai, passed away in 1919 from the Flu Pandemic. The Hungarian community arranged the marriage between Paul Bockay and Rose Forrai. My father did not have a good relationship with his step father.

I was hoping to get some additional information from my relatives on the lives of my Step-Grandfather and Grandmother during this time. I have limited knowledge. I do know that my Grandparents ran a boarding house on Holmes Avenue in Cudahy, Wisconsin. In this photograph is Edwin Soel who was a boarder at the house. My father and Edwin were friends, but that is about all the information I have.

Later in life, my Grandmother rented the upstairs apartment in a residential home on Holmes Avenue. I remember as a child visiting her there.

No comments:

Post a Comment