Friday, October 8, 2010

Portrait of Henning William Traulsen Sr.


Subject: Henning William Traulsen Sr.
Occasion: Unknown
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Date: Unknown
Artist: Unknown
Medium: Charcoal drawing
Photographer: Louis Forrai

Henning was born on December 23, 1860 in Karlberg, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. He emigrated to the United States and arrived on May 5, 1885.

Henning and Alma were the parents of my maternal Grandmother Lucy Albertine Helene Traulsen. They were wed on October 15, 1886 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

This is a photograph of a charcoal drawing done of my Maternal Great Grandfather. I carefully unframed the drawing, but there is no indication of the artist or date. My guess would be the late 1890's. The drawing measures 16 x 20 inches. It was framed in a hand carved ornate wood frame, that is very typical of the period. At this time large photographs were for the most part unheard of.  Therefore painting or drawing were done for larger portraits.

Originally, my Grandmother Lucy stated this drawing hung in the parlor of her Grandmother Alma's home.  The frame was dark wood. It was my Grandmother Lucy that changed the color of the frame to gold glitz. During my childhood, the drawing was stored in the attic. When my Grandmother Lucy moved from the house on Richard and Ring to the townhouse, my mother obtained the drawing. It hung in the hallway with other family photographs.

Henning passed away on November 2, 1906. The story of his death was relayed to me by my Cousin Caroline. She stated that Henning suffered from epilepsy. During this era, the disease was thought to be a social stigma. The disease worsen to the point where Henning could no longer work in the bakery. He did not want the world to know he had the disease. He took a hand gun and shot himself inside the stable at his residence. I can only imagine what a shock it was to the family.  

1 comment:

  1. This is really a treasure Wicho. My guess is that the artist did the drawing from a smaller photograph. Still, it speaks of the exquisite quality of draftsmanship that was at one time far more common than it is today. The camera quickly eliminated the need to learn drawing in many people's minds, though the skill was still preserved by a few.

    To me Henning has a certain melancholy look in this charcoal, perhaps a harbinger of his fate.

    ReplyDelete