Saturday, August 14, 2010

Gathering at Minnie's Home


Date: 1913
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Occasion: Unknown
Photographer: George Daniel Waswo

Subject:
Counter Clockwise starting at the top left: Minnie Waswo Moeller, Alma Waswo Wascher, Albert Allen, Albert Waswo, William Moeller, Robert Waswo, Ernest Wascher, Johana Lueth Waswo Giermann.

I have very little information as to the occasion of this photograph. It was a family get together. Judith Jacob thinks this photograph was taken at Minnie Waswo Moeller's home that was located 79th and Throop Street in Chicago. I am positive that this photograph was taken at the same time and location as the photograph posted two weeks ago, Two Brothers. If you look carefully, Robert Waswo is wearing essentially the some clothing, and is sitting on the porch stoop with his pipe.

I scanned this photograph with high resolution, so if you zoom in, there is still excellent detail. I really notice the family resemblance between Grandma Waswo Giermann and my own mother. In later pictures of Grandma Giermann, she loses a lot of weight, and was sickly in her later years.

I also love the stained glass window next to the front door on Minnie's house. My grandmother Lucy T. Waswo, had similar style stained glass on the building she owned on Richard and Ring Streets in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Grandmother Lucy always called it her piano glass. She would tell me a piano should go under the stained glass. Grandmother did not own a piano, and her sofa was beneath the 'piano glass'. I can remember laying on the sofa and watching the sunshine through the 'piano glass" filling the room with color. If we left Grandma Lucy's house in the evening when it was dark, I would look up to see the indoor light illuminating the 'piano glass'. What a beautiful sight it was. That memory will forever live in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment