Friday, June 18, 2010

Three Generations




Again, I depart from the time line to honor Father's Day.

The top photograph is the only know picture of my grandfather, Louis Forrai. It is a photograph of a photograph that my father took during the 1970's. The original was worn and faded. I always felt my father did a remarkable job of restoring this photograph. He made several copies, and I have one framed and hanging on my wall.

My grandfather, Louis was born April 18, 1892 in Hungary near Budapest. His father was Steven Forrai and mother was Mary Mandoki. He married my grandmother Rosalia Prusek on February 20, 1906 in Hungary. They emigrated to the United States on July 8, 1912.

While in Hungary, they were shop owners and middle class. If you are familiar with Eastern European history, this was an era of war. My grandparents were tired of the war, and left their homeland with their two daughters (Mary and Elizabeth) for America and a new life. They had practically no belonging except for the clothes on their backs. Records reveal they left Belgium for Ellis Island, New York. Once they arrived in New York, they stood in line for over 10 hours to register.

Employment opportunities were scarce, but in New York they learned of the need for laborers in Ohio. My grandparents left New York for Ohio where they labored digging ditches and building roads for the State of Ohio. Their two daughters went to school while mom and dad labored during the day. At night they all practiced and learned English. Grandma had to quit working when she found out she was pregnant (with my father). The four of them found whatever work they could and saved their money.

By 1917, my grandparents had saved enough money and purchased a dairy farm near Kalamazoo, Michigan. Grandma told many stories about life on the farm and raising dairy cows and hogs. She would say, nothing went to waste, not even the squeal of the pig! Farming was a totally new experience for the once shop owners! Life was good for the next two years, until the flu epidemic of 1919 struck. The whole family came down with the flu. The community banded together and helped each other out, with the well doing the daily chores for those who were ill. My grandfather recovered, but went back to work too soon. My grandmother said it was because of his pride. My grandfather caught the influenza the second time, and was too weak to recover. He passed away on February 6, 1919 at the age of 36. He died in Brandon, Michigan and is buried in Ortonville, Michigan. He never realized his dream of becoming a United States citizen.

The middle photograph is of my father, Joseph Frank Forrai. He is reported to be born near Cleveland, Ohio on April 26, 1913. However, a birth certificate could never be found because of a fire at both the court house and the church where he was baptized. The records of the midwife listed him as Steven Forai with a birth date of April 28, 1913 in Cleveland, OH.

This photograph was taken in 1941 in Cudahy, Wisconsin prior to my father being called to serve in the US Army during WWII. My father was 29 years old when he was called to the service. I have a few more pictures to share at a later date, and will continue Joseph's story. Joseph passed away on January 25, 1999. He is buried at Wisconsin Memorial Park in Brookfield, Wisconsin.

The last picture is of Louis Forrai, first son of Joseph Frank and grandson of Louis Forrai. My full name is Louis George Forrai. Louis is my paternal grandfather's first name, and George is my maternal grandfather's first name. Now you all know how my name came into being. As Father's Day honors fathers, I was named to honor my grandfathers.

This photograph was taken by my father in the mid 1960's. It was taken in our dining room against the west windows on Luther Avenue. It has always been one of my favorite photographs, and brings back many happy memories.

2 comments:

  1. I love this story Louis. It will be so nice if we can find out more about Paul Bockay Sr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute to the men in your Forrai family line! I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete