Friday, June 4, 2010

Arthur Herman and Lucy Albertine Helene Traulsen


Subject: Arthur Herman and Lucy Albertine Helene Traulsen
Occasion: Unknown
Date: September 1891
Photographer: Unknown

Family Link:
Parents: Henning and Alma Helen Wolff Traulsen
Children: William Paul Edwin (1887-1899); Arthur Herman (1889-1960); Lucy Albertine Helene (1891-1987); Henning W (1893-1966); Alma Bertha (Reichardt) (1897-1966).

This is the last of the photographs that I have currently scanned that was mounted on heavy cardboard. Unfortunately, the border was cut away, apparently to allow the photograph to fit in a frame. Therefore, I do not have the identity of the photographer.

From a previous post, we learned that William Paul was the first child of Henning and Alma, and that William passed away in 1899. I have heard from my Cousin Dorinne Green, that William is buried at the Forest Home Cemetery, Milwaukee, WI. Dorinne lives near the cemetery, and says she will photograph the headstone.

In this picture we have Arthur Herman who would be the second child. He was two years old in this photograph. Arthur is standing. Seated in the chair is Lucy Albertine age 6 months and the third child. Lucy is my grandmother.

I can remember looking at this photograph as a young child. I always thought it was a photograph of two girls. I guess this was the style of the era for boys and girls to wear what I would consider a dress. I remember grandma telling me that the boy standing was her brother. I found it very amusing that he was wearing a 'dress'. Plaid must have been the fashion design of the era as well. I do not have any memory of Great Uncle Art, as he passed away when I was one year old.

Viewing this photograph as an adult, I admire what must have been a very difficult time preparing and posing children. Especially Lucy, who was only 6 months old at the time. This was so unlike the digital age where you can fire away the shots, keep the best, and discard the rest. It amazes me how perfect this photograph is, almost like two china dolls posed for a toy advertisement flier. I can visualize the photograph displayed on a mantel or table in the home of my great grandparents. Apparently, the Traulsen's treasured their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment