Thursday, May 13, 2010

Henning William and Alma Helen Traulsen


Subject: Alma Helen Wolff(age: 21)and Henning William Traulsen Sr.(age: 26)
Occasion: Wedding Day
Date: October 15, 1886 (but also reported as October 30, 1886)
Photographer: Runkel, 469 Third Street, Milwaukee, Wis.

I posted two views of the same photograph to give you the historical context of what photography consisted of at the turn of the century. The photograph was mounted on heavy cardboard.

Henning was born on December 23, 1860 in Karlberg, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. He emigrated to the United States and arrived on May 5, 1885.

Alma Helen Wolff was born on November 23, 1865 in Schniedermuhl Proving
Rosen, Germany (my spelling may be incorrect as I was reading it from a very old document). Alma arrived in the United States on October 12, 1882.

I am not sure whether this marriage was arranged. In fact, I know very little history. It is my hope that some of my other family members will comment and provided some additional information.

Henning and Alma were the parents of my maternal Grandmother Lucy Albertine Helene Traulsen. That is my connection.

In my opinion, photography during this time was an art form. In a way, a poor man's painted portrait. Painting by far, was much more time consuming and expensive. One might say that at this time all photography portraits were similar. I beg to differ. Upon viewing this photograph you are immediately drawn to the people. Every detail was carefully prepared before the photograph was taken. I like the earrings, but notice the lack of a necklace on Alma. There appears to be a wedding band on her left hand, but Henning's left hand is not prominent and you can not really tell if he is wearing a band. I also like the view of the watch chain and fob.

I doubt very much that this picture was taken on the actual wedding day. It was probably scheduled after the wedding. It appears much preparation went into the making of this photograph by the subjects, as well as the photographer.

I also want to share, that I have started my family tree on ancestry.com. Many of you reading this are probably located in the tree. Please contact me and I can provide access to the tree. Feel free to share any information, dates, places, events and even stories regarding any member of our family. I will be happy to include it. Stories add to our history so that it is not just statistics. Our family lived and loved and I think it is an honor to remember them.

3 comments:

  1. I have some old photographs of my great grandparents on my mom's side. I always wondered why nobody smiled on their pictures. Even my grandma & grandpa's wedding picture - no smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a "cabinet card" (does it measure about 6 x 4 inches?) that evolved from the earlier "carte de visite" which was smaller. Cabinet cards were popular around the time this photograph was made, and the process used was generally albumen, though also sometimes bromide. The idea of the cardboard backing was to make these photographs easy to display by simply placing on a shelf...no frame needed. And of course there was plenty of room to prominently display the logo and address of the photo studio!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photograph itself measures 4" x 5 3/8". If you include the card, the measurements are 4 1/8" x 6 1/2". For the older photographs, I will try in the future to include size and characteristics.

    ReplyDelete