Friday, August 17, 2012

George Daniel Waswo Sr. & Lucy Helen Traulsen

Click on the picture below to enlarge it. Select the back button on your browser to return to the post.
Subject: Left to Right: George Daniel Waswo Sr.(age 31), and Lucy Helen Traulsen(Waswo)(age 24).
Date: March 28, 1915.
Location: 5328 Leland Avenue, Chicago, IL.
Occasion: Engagement.
Photographer: Unknown.
Relationship: Maternal Grandmother and Grandfather.

In the next few weeks, I am going back in time so to speak, to post pictures that I have found in boxes. To date, I have pretty much followed the timeline from the photograph album that my mother, Norma created for me.

Since my maternal grandfather passed away years before I was born, I asked my mother when I was in my late 20's if I could have a picture of grandfather and grandmother. Mom found this photograph and gave it to me. I framed it and it hangs next to my desk where I am typing this. I find comfort having imagines of my ancestors close by while I work.

My grandparents were married on August 19, 1915. This photograph has always been attributed as an engagement picture. It was taken at the home of my great grandmother, George's mother, Johana Lueth Waswo Giermann. There are many posts and photographs of Great Grandmother Giermann, that you may explore.

If you look closely at George on his left lapel, you will see a shiny button and chain. During this era, this was how men wore their pocket watch. If I do say so myself, my grandfather was very handsome and grandmother so very pretty. The both look very fashionable for the era.

No comments:

Post a Comment