Friday, August 31, 2012

Donald Paskowicz, 1947-1967

Click on the picture below to enlarge it. Select the back button on your browser to return to the post.




Subject: Sophomore and Junior High School Pictures of Donald Paskowicz.
Date: Top two: 1964, bottom two: 1965.
Location: Greendale, Wisconsin.
Occasion: From Greendale High School Yearbooks.
Photographer: Unknown.
Relationship: Cousin from paternal side.

September 4 will be the anniversary of the birth of Donald Paskowicz, so this week in honor of Donald, I decided to post the only pictures I have of him.

I have the current principal of Greendale High School, Steve Lodes to thank for these pictures from  yearbooks during the years that Donald attended. Unfortunately, there was not a senior graduation photograph of Donald. Donald did graduate in 1966 with his class, but after the summer session.

From high school graduation, Donald was inducted in the US Army and served in Vietnam. Unfortunately, he was driving his jeep and hit a land mind and was killed in action on July 17, 1967 at age 19.

On the far lower left corner of the fourth picture, you will see Donald's homeroom teacher, Dean Russell. Mr. Russell was the librarian and also my mother, Norma Forrai's boss when she worked at Greendale High School during the late 1960's and 1970's. My mom worked the school calendar, so she could be off when my brother and I were off from school. Once we were old enough, she returned to the county and resumed work in the court system.
The above picture is of the Vietnam Memorial, and halfway through the panel on the far right, you can view Donald's name.

I do not have many memories of Donald, as I was a very young boy at the time of his death. I did receive his 3 speed bicycle and rode it for many years before completely wearing it out. I never forgot the original owner of the bicycle.

Thank you Donald for your service to our country. It is a shame that you perished so early in life. It is an honor to have been your cousin.

No comments:

Post a Comment