Friday, February 11, 2011

George Daniel Waswo, Jr.


Subject: George Daniel Waswo, Jr., age 1.
Occasion: First Birthday.Date: January 1918.
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Photographer: A. F. Schultz, Milwaukee, WI.
Relationship to me: Maternal Uncle.

My maternal Grandparents, George Daniel Waswo, Sr. and Lucy Traulsen Waswo were quite proud on the birth of their first born son. As what happens with most parents, the first child gets all the press, especially if it's a boy. We all know how papas like the idea of the family name carried forward.

For George Daniel Waswo, Jr., this was no exception. This is just one photograph of a series that was taken on his first birthday. I am assuming because it was stamped in the lower right corner, that this was an extra photograph, not part of the proofs, that the parents would choose from.

The remainder of this series was framed in a long narrow frame measuring 8 inches by 29 inches and contained 8 photographs of George Jr. Unfortunately, I would have to ruin the finished product if I were to take it apart and try to scan each photograph. All 8 photographs were of George in various poses either on the wooden chair as in this photograph, or on a wooden three wheeled scooter.

I remember as a child this picture hanging in the home of my Grandmother Lucy on Richard and Ring in Milwaukee. In the late 1960's Grandmother moved into the townhouse that my father had built. We lived on one side, and Grandmother on the other. This picture hung in Grandmother's townhouse until she moved into Methodist Manor in the early 1980's. After that, it went into storage. It was once again displayed in my mother's home when she moved to Texas.



1 comment:

  1. What an adorable photo!

    Try photographing the series of pictures and see how it comes out. When I do this, I use the higest resolution setting (if the camera is digital) and turn off the flash, and try it from slightly different angles. I've had some great results with this method.

    I think it's wonderful that your mom took the photo out of storage and displayed it again. Thanks for another great post!

    ReplyDelete