Subject: Elizabeth Forrai Schelonka, age 15.
Occasion: Unknown.
Date: Summer 1926.
Location: Cudahy, Wisconsin.
Photographer: Unknown.
Relationship to me: Paternal Aunt.
I found this photograph in a box after my mother had passed away. On the back of the photograph was written Elizabeth, summer 1926, in my Grandmother Rose's handwriting.
This is one of the few photographs that I have from my father's side of the family, especially during this era. I do remember seeing this photograph as a child. If memory serves correctly, I believe my Aunt was off to work.
It is my hope, after posting this photograph, that one of my relatives may be able to shed additional information. Some research I did is below:
This is a fascinating photograph! When looking closely at the details, historical context, and the image itself, several key clues explain what is going on here:
1. Why Is Elizabeth Wearing "Masculine" Clothing? (It’s Not a Costume)
Rather than a Halloween costume or daily factory work attire, this photograph captures a 1920s youth fashion phenomenon combined with practical hand-me-downs.
The 1920s "La Garçonne" / Tomboy Trend:
During the mid-1920s, young women and teenage girls embraced the *boyish/androgynous* look. Known as “la garçonne” (French for "the boy"), young women frequently borrowed older brothers' or fathers' newsboy/cabbie caps, oversized suit jackets, and slacks for fun, casual outdoor photos. It was a symbol of 1920s youth independence and lighthearted playfulness rather than formal cross-dressing or costume.
Hand-Me-Down Fit:
Notice how oversized the jacket is on Elizabeth (the shoulders droop well past her natural shoulder line, and the sleeves cover her hands). If her family was poor, she likely threw on an older male relative’s coat and flat-cap over her shirt/tie to pose for a funny, spirited photograph.
2. Location Clues (Near Grant Park / Lake Michigan)
My intuition about the location near Grant Park in Cudahy is spot-on:
Glacial Erratic Boulders:
Elizabeth is standing atop a massive glacial erratic boulder. The Lake Michigan shoreline and parklands throughout Cudahy and South Milwaukee—especially around Grant Park and along Lake Drive—are famous for these large limestone and granite boulders deposited during the last ice age. Placing large boulders at park entrances, residential property corners, or park borders was very common in the 1910s–1920s.
The Neighborhood Context:
The two-story house behind Elizabeth shows classic 1910s–1920s Milwaukee/Cudahy residential architecture (a standard two-family or bungalow-style house on a concrete block foundation). The wide open space and low fence suggest the edge of a residential street adjoining parkland or a bluff area.
3. Why Would a Poor Family Have This Photo Taken?
It can seem surprising to see a staged photo from a working-class family during this era, but a few factors made this possible:
1. The Kodak Box Camera Era: By 1926, the cheap Brownie box camera was widely available across America. Millions of working-class families or teenage friends owned simple cameras and took quick snapshots outdoors in daylight.
2. A Snapshot of "Posing for Fun":
Studio portraits were expensive and reserved for formal occasions, but casual "snapshot" photography was booming. Young adults loved posing in humorous or bold ways—like climbing onto a giant park boulder while wearing a big brother’s suit—to show off for their friends or family.
Summary
Far from being a Halloween outfit, Elizabeth was simply being a spirited 15-year-old in 1926! She was having fun participating in a popular 1920s "tomboy" snapshot trend, bundled up in an oversized family coat and cap, posing proudly on a signature Cudahy park boulder. Since I have very few photographs from this era, it was probably a friend that photographed this shot and shared a print with Elizabeth.


Hello Wicho,
ReplyDeleteThe picture you posted here on your blog I believe is my wonderful grandmother Elizabeth who was married to Leo! I just found your blog today and I know this blog is very old, but if you are still monitoring it, I would like to get in touch with you and share info.Rose Fortai/Bockay was my great grandmother. How can I reach you, I am not on Facebook. I hope you are doing well! Theresa